- Background research to understand their assigned practice areas and jurisdictions.
- With the support of the Deputy Editor, determining which lawyers to contact for interview.
- Conducting probing interviews with lawyers, asking open-ended questions.
- Interviewing in-house counsel and other third party experts by telephone or via an online questionnaire.
- Accurately logging communications and continually assessing progression of their research.
- Pursuing research leads gained via materials provided by the Chambers team, or through their own research.
- Building an understanding of, and relationships with, the key market participants.
- Analysing the data collected during the research phase to create accurate and impartial ranking tables that reflect the market.
- Developing an understanding of your assigned jurisdictions/practice areas through interviews and desk research.
- Seeking out and acting upon new developments and opportunities for expansion in the areas they are responsible for.
- Assessing both law firms and individual lawyers - their key strengths and weaknesses - to provide an accurate hierarchical ranking.
- Producing an informative, business-focused editorial for the Chambers website and print versions of our guides
- Fully responsible for the comprehensive nature of this editorial e.g. ensure accuracy, respect the confidentiality of material we handle etc.
- Identify what makes each firm different, and why it might appeal to a particular type of client.
- Understand the personalities and key strengths of leading lawyers within the profession.
- Working to the editorial deadlines i.e. meeting deadlines for research, ranking and editorial writing.
- Taking ownership of the process i.e. proactively reporting any challenges faced when producing accurate and informative editorial etc.
- Writing internal reports at the end of a research phase that are called upon to direct research in the future.